Action Play Systems' 12" playground borders are the perfect solution for creating Raised Bed Gardens.
APS Playground Borders as Raised Gardens
Playground borders have become a popular option for building raised beds and have several benefits over other common materials.
- They drain really well because the joints where the borders interlock aren't water tight but still fit closely together. This allows water to flow through while containing the soil.
- They help keep the soil warmer which extends the growing season allowing you to get plants in earlier in the spring and keep them out later in the fall.
They are very modular, making it easy to create beds in many different sizes and shapes.
- They are super easy to install. All you have to do is get the borders lined up and drive a spike through the hole that adjacent borders share. For us, installing the borders was the easiest part of the whole project.
- Filling up or removing soil from a bed is much easier because you can drive a wheelbarrow inside the bed if you need to. All you need to do is remove a spike and pull out a section to make an opening for the wheelbarrow. When you're done just put the section back in place and reinstall the spike and you're all set.
- They are easy to change down the road because you don't have to cut or screw anything together. Want to extend out a 4' x 8' bed? Turn an existing bed into an L-shaped bed? Move a bed to a new area? All very easy to do with playground borders.